The Top 10 Supplements for 2014 Revealed Click To Tweet
Which supplements are the most popular? According to SPINS, a consumer insights agency for the natural, organic, and specialty products industry, the following filled the Top 10 spots for supplements in 2014.
- PROBIOTICS: Live, active bacteria taken for digestive health and immunity.
- PROTEIN: Taken most often in powder form. Whey, as well as plant proteins, which are based on ingredients such as peas and flaxseed, are popular for satiety and building muscle.
- OMEGA-3S: Fish oil, DHA, and flaxseed taken for everything from cardio and brain benefit to healthy hair and nails.
- WHOLE-FOOD CONCENTRATE: An efficient way to consume nutrient dense foods, such as a dehydrated, powder form of condensed fruits and/or vegetables to add to a drink or smoothie.
- MULTIVITAMIN: Several essential vitamins (or vitamins and minerals) together in one tablet or capsule.
- VITAMIN C: A water-soluble antioxidant taken to strengthen connective tissue and promote good skin and arteries.
- TURMERIC: The curcumin component of this herb may reduce chronic inflammation.
- CALCIUM AND MAGNESIUM: Taken primarily for bone health, though magnesium is also taken for stress relief and to assist many other metabolic reactions.
- VITAMIN D: A nutrient hard to get through food alone, taken to make cells function more efficiently, promote energy, and treat depression.
- SPIRULINA: In powder or tablet form, this nutrient-dense blue-green algae is a good source of protein, B vitamins, iron, and copper.