Dry eyes can be a normal part of aging. Optim Nutrition Ocucel Dry Eye formula is enriched with Omega 3, GLA, Green tea, other antioxidants and nutrients to help promote the production of healthy tears and provide temporary relief for dry eye discomfort.* Inside you'll find:
Ultimate Potency Omega-3 Fish Oil
A high potency of 1,000 mg of EPA and DHA per serving extracted from cold water fish. Omega-3s not only support brain, heart, joint, skin and eye health but research shows it can help promote production of healthy tears in eyes as well.*
Gamma-linolenic Acid (GLA) from Black Currant Oil
GLA is an Omega-6 essential fatty acid that supports healthy joints, skin and heart health.* When taken together with Omega-3 essential fatty acids, temporary relief of dry eye discomfort may occur.*
Green Tea Extract with 50% Polyphenols
Green Tea Extract contains polyphenols that provide antioxidant benefits and cellular support against oxidative stress commonly caused by free radicals.*
Vitamins C, E & B-6
Powerful antioxidant benefits are provided by Vitamin C and E, while the addition of Vitamin B-6 helps with the absorption of Magnesium, an important mineral for tear production.*
Magnesium is a necessary mineral for tear production that also supports a healthy immune system and muscle and nerve function.*
What Causes Dry Eyes?
Dry eyes are caused by a lack of lubrication on the surface of the eye. Many different factors such as age, gender, environment and even certain medications and conditions can contribute to its development.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Age: Dry eyes can be a normal part of the aging process and typically affect people age 65 and older.
- Gender: Women are more susceptible to dry eyes because of the hormonal changes involved in pregnancy, menopause and the use of oral contraceptives.
- Environment: Outside conditions such as wind, dry climate or smoke can cause dry eyes. Even indoor activities like staring at a computer screen for extended periods of time can disrupt regular blinking patterns and cause eye irritation.
- Contact Lenses: Contact lenses worn for long periods of time can cause the eyes to dry out and become irritated. Even some eye surgeries can decrease tear production and have a similar effect.
What can you do to help your dry eyes?
- Blinking regularly during long bouts of activities such as reading and computer work can help.
- Wearing protective lenses can shield the eyes from wind and debris.
- Create a comfortable environment by increasing humidity in the air at home or work.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking enough water (between 8-10 glasses each day) can help.
- Nutritional supplements such as antioxidants and essential fatty acids can encourage the production of healthy tears and provide temporary relief for eye discomfort.